Since 2018, the Luxembourg Ministry of the Economy and Tourism has been offering an official and voluntary classification system for campers. It is therefore an award guaranteed by the Luxembourg state, i.e. a legally flawless information. The classification is also reliable and transparent in terms of objectivity, in contrast to internet rating portals for example.
The classification allows the guest to compare the campsites with complete transparency. The principle is quite simple: the higher the number of stars, the more conditions must be fulfilled.
Brief overview of the criteria
There are a total of 184 criteria, divided into 4 chapters.
There are „must“-criteria that must be achieved for the respective stars, and optional criteria that help to collect points.
In all four categories there are quality criteria, f.ex. cleanliness, functionality, good condition, ...
The labels awarded by the ministry also earn points, labels recognized by the state; or issued by an official body with equivalent requirements.
Some criteria are also met if the service is in the immediate vicinity, which means: easily and quickly accessible on foot by campsite customers.
Some services can only be offered in the high season: the period during which the campsite has an occupation of 75% or more applies.
The 4 chapters:
Chapter A: General,
- the location (forest area, along the river, park, quiet)
- Appearance of the campsite
- Information such as public transport, supermarkets and restaurants in the area
Chapter B: Equipment
- parking spaces
- sanitary facilities
- Reception and lounge/ shared spaces
Chapter C: Services
- Reception opening times, which languages are spoken
- The warden stays 24/24 in the immediate vicinity of the reception and camping (from 4 stars onwards)
- Services, such as providing a Babybed (cot), CEE power adapter, telephone adapter, etc.
- Tourist information
- clear and up-to-date website
- Restaurant and shop
- waste management
- Efforts for the environment
Chapter D: Sport and Leisure
- Swimming pool (also external, when available free of charge for a certain number of hours)
- Sport facilities
- Animation high season / all year round
So in the end there are 1 to 5 stars:
** fit for purpose
***** first class
More information on www.classification.lu
Campsites with 4 stars
- Camping Auf Kengert, L-7633 Medernach-Larochette
- Camping Bissen, L-9659 Heiderscheidergrund
- Camping Kohnenhof, L-9838 Eisenbach
- Camping route du Vin, L-6794 Grevenmacher
- Camping Krounebierg, L-7572 Mersch
Campsites with 3 stars
- Camping Kautenbach, L-9663 Kautenbach